BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, April 25, 2011

The Early 1800s or the 1970s???

Now this dress was originally made with the Regency Era in mind--early 1800s.  However, when I wore it, someone told me it looked like a hippy style from the 1970s.  This was definitely not what I had in mind when I made it. 

This is an extremely easy pattern to make--Simplicity #9716.  I was not sure of the fabric print at first but when it was done I really thought it looked pretty.  The material is 100% cotton.  The pattern features an elastic waist hidden behind the belt.  It is loose-fitting and very comfortable to wear. The dress is tea-length and has long bell sleeves.  Next time I make this, I may try another sleeve variation.  This sleeve tends to get in the way of doing anything productive.

If you are new to sewing, this would be an excellent dress to start with.  I'd really like to hear your thoughts as to what time period you think this dress fits into.  :0)
 

 

2 comments:

Heb. 10:14 said...

Hi Ash!
I like your new blog, it's really neat! Regarding this dress: I think it fits into the '70's period if you wear it with sandals, but with boots, it would look more "Regency Era-ish." Anyhow, I think it's beautiful! Is it hard to sew with prints like that? I would like to try it some time.
You have a great day! Love ya!
Katherine

Kelly Wagner said...

Hello Katherine,
Thank you for your info. No it was not really hard to sew with the print like that. At first I wasn't really sur about the print but after I as done with it I actually really liked it.
Have an awesome day!
Love ya
Ashley